School Rights You may not Know You Have

If You Live in Any of the Following Situations:

  • In a shelter or on the street
  • In a motel or campground
  • In a car, park, abandoned building, bus, or train station
  • Couch surfing/doubled up with others due to loss of housing, foreclosure, eviction, or economic hardship
  • Inadequate living conditions (i.e. overcrowding, lack of plumbing, heating, or electricity)
  • Foster care (placement less than 6 months)

You May Be Eligible for Services, Including:

  • Transportation to school
  • School breakfast or lunch at no charge
  • Free school supplies
  • Academic support and tutoring
  • Help getting school records, including birth certificate and immunization records
  • Referrals for housing, healthcare, and food
  • Referrals for other services

You Also Have the Right to:

  • Enroll in and attend school, no matter where you live and how long you have lived there.
  • Continue attending the same school after experiencing loss of housing, or transfer to a new school.
  • Receive transportation assistance, if possible.
  • Receive school meal program.
  • Receive Title 1 Services.

For more information, please call Patty Ollila at (906)575-3438 ext100