School Rights You may not Know You Have
If You Live in Any of the Following Situations:
- In a shelter or on the street
- In a motel or campground
- In a car, park, abandoned building, bus, or train station
- Couch surfing/doubled up with others due to loss of housing, foreclosure, eviction, or economic hardship
- Inadequate living conditions (i.e. overcrowding, lack of plumbing, heating, or electricity)
- Foster care (placement less than 6 months)
You May Be Eligible for Services, Including:
- Transportation to school
- School breakfast or lunch at no charge
- Free school supplies
- Academic support and tutoring
- Help getting school records, including birth certificate and immunization records
- Referrals for housing, healthcare, and food
- Referrals for other services
You Also Have the Right to:
- Enroll in and attend school, no matter where you live and how long you have lived there.
- Continue attending the same school after experiencing loss of housing, or transfer to a new school.
- Receive transportation assistance, if possible.
- Receive school meal program.
- Receive Title 1 Services.
For more information, please call Patty Ollila at (906)575-3438 ext100